This cartoon which shows a gun with the word "parenting" as the safety switch was a major topic of discussion in my house this week. It raised lots of questions.
1. Are parents to blame for gun violence?
2. Are parents "responsible for gun violence"?
3. What are our responsibilities about dealing with our adult children's positive or negative behaviors?
4. What are the challenges of finding resources/supports for our adult children with difficulties?
5. What are the limits of our ability as parents to influence our children?
6. If not parents, then how do we explain the troublesome behavior of young adults?
We didn't have any firm opinions on these matters. As family life educators and professionals who study parenting, child development and families, should we be talking about this issues. Should we respond to cartoons like this?
I like it!
Post a Comment