Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Presentation Tools on the Web

In trying to understand the process of teaching use web-based tools I have tried to organize the various Web 2.0 tools into various categories based on their functions.

The four general categories are:

1. Tools to find, save and organize scientific research
2. Tools to find, save and organize useful web-based information
3. Tools to create web-based content (mostly text this time)
4. Tools to teach in elearning environments.

Marissa Stone from the Univesity of Georgia commented that I should probably add Wimba Live Classroom to my future tools. This tool allows an instructor to create a live lecture on the web. This reminds me that my category of "teaching in elearning environments" is probably too broad of a category. Maybe I need these categories:

Tools for presentations

Video streaming tools-- YouTube
Slide sharing tools-- slideshare
Video/audio conferencing-- Wimba Live Classroom, Eluminate

Tools for managing online courses

Course management systems-- WebCT, Blackboard, Moodle, Sakai

No comments: